Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Revisiting An Old Make

Today I dug out a tote of yarn from the basement.  It contains an afghan that I started two summers ago and have yet to finish.  I managed to add about 8" to it today, and set the goal of finishing it by Christmas.  I've decided that I like having several projects on the go so that I can break up the monotony of row-on-row-on-row stitches.

I digress.

In the box I found a print-out of the pattern I used to make this sweet baby blanket for my niece back in the Spring of 2011.  
I just love the rainbow of colours!  Red, yellow, blue, green, orange and purple makes a gender-neutral afghan.
Yes...a print-out from my pre-iPad days when I carried around my patterns on on pieces of paper.  This is exciting because the pattern is no longer available online and I have had some fellow crafters ask me for it.  Here's one more close-up of the blanket, and then I'll post the gist of the pattern below.


Brick Crochet Afghan/Blanket Pattern:


Foundation Row: Chain 131 with your main colour.  Make one double crochet in the 4th chain from the hook and in each chain thereafter (128 dcs).  Join colour A and turn.

Row 1: With colour A, chain 1.  Make 1 sc in each of the first 4 dc.  *Ch 1, miss 1 dc, 1 sc in each of the next 9 dc*  Repeat from * until you get to the last 5 dc.  ch 1 and miss 1 dc, then finish the row with 1 sc in each of the last 4 dc. Turn.

Rows 2-4: Ch 1.  1 sc in each st to the end of the row (In row 2, this includes the gap made by your ch 1 from row 1).  At the end of row 4, join your main colour again.

An ingenious stitch into the row of black a few centimetres below creates the funky brick pattern in this blanket.
Row 5: (This is the exciting one!)  With your main colour, ch 1, 1 sc in first 4 stitches, then *1 tc in the skipped sc 4 rows below.  No sc in the stitch behind the tc.  1 sc in each of the next 9 stitches.  Repeat from * to the last 4 stitches.   Then 1 tc in the skipped stitch 4 rows below and 4 sc to finish out the row. Turn.

Row 6: Ch 3 (counts as dc).  1 dc in each stitch across the entire row.

Row 7: This is like Row 1 again, except in order to get the brick look, you're going to make 1 sc in each of the first 9 stitches, then ch 1, skip 1 dc and keep going with the same pattern (1 sc in each of next 9 dc, ch 1, skip 1 dc and repeat, repeat, repeat).

Rows 8-10 are like Rows 2-4, etc., etc., etc.,


Another shot of the brick-like afghan.
For edging, the pattern recommends one round of sc all the way around (with 3 sc in each corner), then two rows of the tweed stitch.  It looks like I was having so much fun with the brick/window pane look that I used that for the border as well. :)

For a brick/window pane blanket border:

Round 1: Using main colour, sc evenly around the entire blanket, with 3 scs in each corner.
Round 2: Using an alternate colour, 2 sc, ch 1, skip one sc all the way around the blanket, working 3 scs into each corner
Round 3: Using main colour, crochet 1 dc into the sc stitch below the skipped stitch and 2 sc into the next 2 scs.  (Repeat, still workng 3 scs into each corner.)
Round 4: Finish with a round of slip stitches in your main colour.


13 comments:

  1. Thanks so much! I thought it was gone forever thanks for taking the time to post it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing with us.
    I plan on using an array of fall colors with cream as the constant color, and I hope it turns out as pretty as yours is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. This will be my first blanket for my sweet mom's birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this pattern and would love to make it, I hate being so dumb but what does (TC) mean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TC is Triple Crochet. You can google YouTube videos that will show you how to do it. It's much like a double crochet stitch but you wrap your yarn over one more time at the start of the stitch.

      Delete
    2. And you have one more group of two to work off with tc, also known as treble crochet.

      Delete
  6. How would you calculate a smaller starting row to make something like a scarf instead of a blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to make this blanket bigger, how do I calculate the number of stitches for the starting chain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started with 200 and had to work an extra stitch in. I think it’s multiples of ten, plus one, plus your turning chain.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. can this be done with 2 colors? and is there a video for this pattern?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...